WEES BAR

FEBRUARY 2020

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

WEES BAR PETROGLYPHS

SNAKE RIVER

Wees Bar is a flat, pleasant, 12-mile round-trip hike accessed from Swan Falls Dam near Melba, Idaho. There is no shade, so you will want to go when it's cool. I hiked it on a February morning and had the entire trail to myself. To access the petroglyphs, you will park at Swan Falls Dam and cross it to the other side of the Snake River. You will then just follow a pleasant trail along the side of the river for approximately six miles until you reach a field with large boulders scattered throughout it. 

The petroglyphs are everywhere. It was a lot of fun for me just wandering from boulder to boulder seeing what designs I could find on them. I'm sure I missed a lot, so I'll have to come back some time. Due to how flat the trail is, it is also commonly done on a mountain bike, which would save a lot of time. However, I really enjoyed the peaceful, quiet walk along the river.