MESA FALLS

JULY 2013 & OCTOBER 2016

UPPER MESA FALLS
UPPER MESA FALLS
BELOW UPPER MESA FALLS

UPPER MESA FALLS
UPPER MESA FALLS
LOWER MESA FALLS
UPPER MESA FALLS
UPPER MESA FALLS
BELOW UPPER MESA FALLS

Upper and Lower Mesa Falls both make great excursions if you are ever traveling between Idaho Falls and Yellowstone. To see them, you will need to leave Highway 20, and take the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. There is a signed parking area for Lower Mesa Falls located just off the scenic byway. Be aware that the viewing area for Lower Mesa Falls is located pretty far away from falls, so you won't be able to get a real close look at it. It is still cool to see. If you do want a closer look, there is a trail leading to the top of the falls the Upper Mesa Falls parking area. I haven't hiked this trail, but it is on my to-do list. 

Less than a mile north of the Lower Mesa Falls parking area, there will be a signed turn-off to Upper Mesa Falls. This waterfall blew me away when I first saw it. I had never even heard of it until the day before I visited in July of 2013. There is a very nice trail and boardwalk taking you from the parking area down to the falls for some impressive views.